General aims of the South African Curriculum
(a) The National Curriculum Statement Grades R-12 gives expression to the knowledge, skills and values worth learning in South African schools. This curriculum aims to ensure that children acquire and apply knowledge and skills in ways that are meaningful to their own lives. In this regard, the curriculum promotes knowledge in local contexts, while being sensitive to global imperatives.
(b) The National Curriculum Statement Grades R-12 serves the purposes of:
- equipping learners, irrespective of their socio-economic background, race, gender, physical ability or intellectual ability, with the knowledge, skills and values necessary for self-fulfillment, and meaningful participation in society as citizens of a free country;
- providing access to higher education;
- facilitating the transition of learners from education institutions to the workplace; and
- providing employers with a sufficient profile of a learner’s competences.
(c) The National Curriculum Statement Grades R-12 is based on the following principles:
- Social transformation: ensuring that the educational imbalances of the past are redressed, and that equal educational opportunities are provided for all sections of the population;
- Active and critical learning: encouraging an active and critical approach to learning, rather than rote and uncritical learning of given truths;
- High knowledge and high skills: the minimum standards of knowledge and skills to be achieved at each grade are specified and set high, achievable standards in all subjects;
- Progression: content and context of each grade shows progression from simple to complex;
- Human rights, inclusivity, environmental and social justice: infusing the principles and practices of social and environmental justice and human rights as defined in the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.
To ensure quality and compliance at this level, each subject is taught with subject policy guidelines as directed by the Department of Basic Education. English Language as a subject at Besek College, is taught at Home Language level.
- English-Home Language
- Afrikaans- First Additional Language
- Natural Sciences and Technology
- Social Sciences
- Life Skills
- Computer Skills (Extra)
- Co-curricular activities (Extra)
- STEM Education (Extra at a cost. Offered on Saturdays only)
- Entrpreneurship for Kids (Extra at a cost. Offered on Saturdays only)